Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dogs and Cars don't mix

To follow a previous theme:

A woman in Hohhot, the capital of north China's Inner Mongolia region, crashed her car while giving her dog a driving lesson, the official Xinhua News Agency said Monday.

No injuries were reported although both vehicles were slightly damaged, it said.

The woman, identified only be her surname, Li, said her dog "was fond of crouching on the steering wheel and often watched her drive," according to Xinhua.

"She thought she would let the dog 'have a try' while she operated the accelerator and brake," the report said. "They did not make it far before crashing into an oncoming car."

Xinhua did not say what kind of dog or vehicles were involved but Li paid for repairs.


For those of you who have followed my blog (my deepest sympathies - talk to your psychiatrist about that one), you may notice the similarity between this story and some of my previous stories. There was one where a Dog backed a car into a lady getting her mail. There was one where a 5-year old German kid drove a Mercedes. Finally, there was a kid in Michigan who conspired with an infant to drive an Escalae. Some of you may mention my frequent references to Pluto as well and would say that I am somehow obsessed...but I deny that completely.

There is a pattern emerging. Two kids drove fancy cars and did surprisingly well, while two dogs ended up crashing. The lesson? If you are in a pinch, let your toddler drive before your dog. In fact, we may even want to consider lowering the legal driving age with the success of toddler driving. I would be dead against any suggestions, however, that we change the species requirement for drivers license.

So let me address this story. First, there is the name of the town: Hohhot. I think Ypsilanti has nothing to worry about with cities out there with names like this. Although I have been told that some like it Hohhot (sorry about that one). I also like the last line: Xinhua did not say what kind of dog or vehicles were involved but Li paid for repairs. What, were they going to make the dog pay for the repairs? I would certainly suggest that the dog get a job and pay back Ms. Li for his incompetent driving.

Finally, let me say that up to now I believed that all Chinese people were highly intelligent. I have never met one otherwise. This story is absolute proof that there are really stupid Chinese people as well. I wonder if Ms. Li knows if Mercury is the planet closest to the sun?