A new bridge in Hungary could be named after Hollywood action movie actor Chuck Norris unless the trend turns in an Internet vote organized by the Economy Ministry.
Votes for the "Chuck Norris Bridge" had attracted 8,725 votes or 11 percent by Tuesday morning, just ahead of those cast in favor of naming it after Hungarian humorist Geza Hofi and three times more than for Szent Istvan, founder of the state.
Votes can be cast until September 8 on the www.m0hid.gov.hu Web site, where people have put forward more than 500 nominations including Bud Spencer and Bob Marley, as well as names referring to construction delays such as "It Will Never Happen Bridge."
A government committee will review the three winning names, as well as other proposals put forward by local governments, cartographers, linguists and other experts. The bridge over the Danube north of Budapest is due to open in 2008.
Well, a bridge named after Chuck. Very nice. Are they still smoking opium over there? Something has caused them to become insane en masse. Well, I would suggest some other characters they might want to consider:
- Pee-Wee Herman - Maybe name a jail after him.
- Gumby and Pokey - I think the parliament building may sound very good named after them.
- Captain Kangaroo - I am not sure, but there would have to be a door with a lot of little doors on it (only will make sense if you remember the show).
- David Hasselhoff - Maybe a bowling alley named after him.
- Fabio - Great name for a town square - think about it: "Fabio Square." It has a nice ring to it.
- Dora the Explorer - Actually there is a section in Afghanistan called Tora Bora - which should have Dora's name attached to it somehow. Or maybe she could go on a hunt for Osama!
- Kenny G - I think it should be a garbage dump named after him. Either that or some place where people get real nauseated.
- Yanni - same as Kenny G.
- The Laundress - Well, maybe just rename the Capitol after her. She is famous, after all.