Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Music


Those of you who have peered back to the early writings of my blog (my deep condolences) know that I am a musician. I took piano and cello lessons as a child and taught myself guitar (which is my main instrument now). I also started college as a voice major before I sold my soul to become a doctor. Music has always been one of my great loves. I have said that if you forced me to choose between music and medicine, even though I really love my job as a doctor, I would choose music because I think it is more my essence.

I was in the car today listening to Alison Krauss and was carried away by the emotion of the music. It was not the lyrics that cast their spell, but the music itself. There is something about a beautiful melody, good harmonies, and great talent that causes the soul to soar. There are two things the Bible says will be in heaven: food and music. That gives me a lot to look forward to.

Those who have read my posts also know that I am a religious person. I try not to beat people over the head with it and have no desire to get into heated debates on the subject. But listening to music today, appreciating the beauty of the melody, makes me feel a touch of the divine. It brings out a longing that it momentarily fills. This is not a logical argument for the existence of God, but an emotional experience that satisfies this silly boy. My wife feels the same way when she goes outdoors. The birds to her are God's smile. Whether or not you agree with this assessment, you will agree that these are great gifts to us that make our lives rich.

Savor those good things.