Thursday, July 20, 2006

Day 4, and some monkey business

OK, I did not do much in the way of pictures today - you can only do so much with pictures of people building sheds - they all start to look the same. I'm sure you have experienced the same thing.

Today is our penultimate day. We are leaving tomorrow after lunch. It was much harder to get motivated today and hence more difficult to motivate the kids. They all worked, however, and did so fairly hard. I told them that this day was about character. If you only work when you want to, then you will not be successful. If, however, you are able to do what you need to when you do not feel like it, you show character. They not only worked, but did so fairly hard, which I was very happy about. It really is the dividing line between successful and unsuccessful people - the ability to do what you need to do when your mind is whining at you and wanting to do anything else. You just have to learn how to put your head down and do the job. It may or may not give you a good feeling, but it is the right thing to do. I find I have to do that often in my work (there are lots of things I would rather not do but have to do).

My daughter asked me if she was that kind of person (she is 12). I told her that today she showed me that she could be that kind of person. I was impressed by how they clearly did not want to be out there but worked anyhow. She said that she can do it, but not for homework. I agreed - I had noticed that.

On a lighter note, there continues to be a serious problem with inebriation among the "lower primates." Yes, I am talking about monkeys drinking. I thought that being down here in a disaster zone would let me avoid it, but here is a picture of a local "establishment." I was dumbfounded that even here the drunk monkeys have infiltrated. I have not seen any horizontal cows, but I will keep my eyes open for pelicans and dogs driving wildly.

I haven't decided if I will go to the Karaoke yet.